Summer Servings Program!
MAY 17, 2011
The Summer Servings program launched today and Gleaners board member Jeff Simmons along with Stuart Lowry, head of Indy Parks, Congressman Andre Carson, Mayor Greg Ballard, and Jim Morris announced the Summer Servings Program today at the MLK Park!
Visit Summer Servings on Facebook or their website for more information!
What is Summer Servings?
Summer Servings is available in Marion County and is a part of the USDA Summer Food Service Program (SFSP) which provides nutritious meals and snacks to children in low-income areas during the summer months and long vacation periods for schools on year-round schedules. Free meals are provided to all children at approved sites in areas with significant concentrations of low income children.
What does the SFSP offer?
- Served 133.4 million meals nationwide in FY 2010.
- Reimburses sponsors such as schools, local government agencies, residential and nonresidential camps, and faith-based and other private nonprofit organizations for meals served to children at eligible sites.
- Serves up to two meals or one meal and one snack per day per child at schools, churches, recreation centers, camps, playgrounds, parks, and other community sites.
- Provides USDA Commodity Foods to eligible sponsors.
Who can participate?
- The Summer Food Service Program served over 2.261 million children at more than 38,000 meal sites in 2010 nationwide.
- Eligible participants can be children 18 and younger.