Cooking Matters Volunteer Opportunities
What is Cooking Matters?
- A six week hands on cooking class for low income families which will help them shop for and prepare affordable healthy meals.
- Six Tuesdays: November 7th – December 12th
- 5:00pm-8:30pm Volunteer Session (class is 6:00pm-8:00pm)
- Teach adults, kids, and teens how to cook and shop for healthy, low-cost foods. They combine their own knowledge and experience with the lesson plans and recipes provided in the Cooking Matters curricula. Culinary volunteers are usually either graduates of or enrolled in a two-year culinary training program, have at least two years working as a cook or chef, or retired as a cook or chef. Culinary volunteers can also be someone who genuinely loves cooking and teaching skills they have acquired.
- Teach adults, kids, and teens how to make healthy choices. They use the lesson plans and instructional materials provided in the Cooking Matters curricula, along with their own expertise in nutrition. Nutrition volunteers are typically graduates of or enrolled in dietetics programs, have at least two years working in a nutrition and dietetics position, or retired in the field of nutrition and dietetics.
- Help before, during and after classes. Duties may include shopping for food, handing out and collecting class materials, engaging reluctant participants, helping with set up and clean up, taking photos or collecting stories during class to help record the Cooking Matters course experience. Additionally, any other duties that is appropriate to make the class run smoothly.
Megan Songer, firstname.lastname@example.org, 317-426-0492