Across the country, millions of older adults are facing hunger. In the 21 counties we serve, nearly 100,000 seniors are not assured of their next meal. Nationally, 8.1% of seniors will face food insecurity this year.
With the senior population expected to nearly double by 2050, we face a crisis with long term ramifications. Seniors have to make choices unimaginable to most of us.
- 77% report buying cheaper, unhealthy food to make ends meet
- 38% water down food or drink
- 63% choose between receiving medical care or buying food
- 60% have put off paying utilities to buy food
- 49% fear becoming homeless
The Gleaners Senior Hunger Initiative
includes senior mobile pantries and senior shopping days. These distributions offer an additional opportunity for older adults to receive nutritious food each month. In 2017, more than 35,000 seniors received food through this program.