It’s spring – finally! The birds are singing, gardens are waking from a long winter’s nap and schoolchildren are counting down the days to summer break. While this is a joyful time for many, for others, summer can bring uncertainty and anxiety.
During school breaks, additional stress is often placed on families already struggling to meet day to day needs. Last summer, thanks to you
and other generous donors, we were able to provide just over 107,000 meals to 27,000 hungry children
Sydney Dressler, a site coordinator at Daniel Webster IPS 46,
wrote to our Youth Programs team last summer about the impact their pantry had on the school and the community at large.
“We chose to have our school pantry open during the summer and it was absolutely mind blowing the turnout we had each scheduled pantry day!
During the school year we were averaging around 15-20 families per week. We held the pantry twice in the month of June and had around 45 families both days!
I feel so honored and blessed
to be a part of such a worthy initiative!”
This year, we’re continuing to expand the way we serve these kids, using virtually every opportunity at our disposal to help families bridge the gap when school is out. Specifically:
- Summer Meals Boxes will be distributed each month to children and families in 8 counties – 3 more than last year!
- 33 School-Based Pantries - an increase of 7 over last year - will be open during the summer months and will include fresh fruits and vegetables at their distributions.
- Mobile Pantries will be distributing at 26 sites throughout our service area, featuring fresh produce and meal-making items.
- 25,000 BackSacks will be distributed at 40 Marion County sites this summer, including fresh produce each week.
- CARE Mobile Pantries will once again be serving at 6 locations in Indianapolis throughout the summer. This partnership with IMPD, EMS and IFD has provided over 1.7 million meals since its inception in 2015.
While this expansion is challenging, we are confident that with your help
, we will be able to meet the needs of hungry children this summer.