Turkey Tacos: A Cooking Matters Recipe
March 30, 2018
Tags: Community Cupboard, Indianapolis, Produce
Want to try this recipe at home from Share Our Strength Cooking Matters program in partnership with Indy Hunger Network?
This family friendly Turkey Tacos recipe was a hit with our class! Try it!
- 1 med carrot or small sweet potato or zucchini
- 1/4 med head of lettuce
- 2 large tomatoes
- 7 oz low-fat cheddar
- 1-15 oz can low sodium pinto beans
- 1-15 oz can chopped or crushed tomatoes, no salt added
- Non-stick cooking spray
- 1 lb. lean ground turkey
- 1 T chili powder
- 1 t garlic powder
- 1 t dried oregano
- 1/2 t salt
- 1/2 t ground black pepper 16 taco shells
- Rinse, peel and grate carrot, sweet potato or zucchini. If using zucchini, do not peel. Squeeze dry with paper towels.
- Rinse and shred lettuce. Rinse, core and chop tomatoes.
- Grate cheese.
- In a colander, drain and rinse beans.
- Coat a large skillet with non-stick cooking spray. Heat over medium high heat. Add ground turkey and brown.
- Add grated veggies, beans, canned tomatoes, chili powder, garlic powder, oregano, salt and pepper, and stir to combine.
- Reduce heat to medium and cook until thickened, about 20 minutes.
- To assemble: add 2 T of taco meat mixture to taco shell. Top with 1 T grated cheese, 1 T shredded lettuce, and 1 T fresh tomatoes.