Turkey Tacos: A Cooking Matters Recipe
March 30, 2018
Tags: Community Cupboard, Indianapolis, Produce
Want to try a Share Our Strength Cooking Matters program recipe at home in partnership with Indy Hunger Network?
This family friendly Turkey Tacos recipe was a hit with our class! Try it!
- 1 med carrot or small sweet potato or zucchini
- 1/4 med head of lettuce
- 2 large tomatoes
- 7 oz low-fat cheddar
- 1-15 oz can low sodium pinto beans
- 1-15 oz can chopped or crushed tomatoes, no salt added
- Non-stick cooking spray
- 1 lb. lean ground turkey
- 1 T chili powder
- 1 t garlic powder
- 1 t dried oregano
- 1/2 t salt
- 1/2 t ground black pepper 16 taco shells
- Rinse, peel and grate carrot, sweet potato or zucchini. If using zucchini, do not peel. Squeeze dry with paper towels.
- Rinse and shred lettuce. Rinse, core and chop tomatoes.
- Grate cheese.
- In a colander, drain and rinse beans.
- Coat a large skillet with non-stick cooking spray. Heat over medium high heat. Add ground turkey and brown.
- Add grated veggies, beans, canned tomatoes, chili powder, garlic powder, oregano, salt and pepper, and stir to combine.
- Reduce heat to medium and cook until thickened, about 20 minutes.
- To assemble: add 2 T of taco meat mixture to taco shell. Top with 1 T grated cheese, 1 T shredded lettuce, and 1 T fresh tomatoes.